Explore disability data at the state level
For each state in the US, view and download county-level maps of general disability rates, as well as maps of:
- disability rates among veterans
- people with disabilities in poverty
- disability rates by sex
- disability rates by functional limitations, including vision, hearing, cognitive, mobility, self-care, and independent living difficulty
- employment, unemployment, and out of labor force rates among people with disabilities
(July 2019): These maps are a work in progress, and maps will be added over the coming months.
All maps created using American Community Survey data.
We strive for full accessibility of our materials. Text descriptions and, where possible, links to data files are included on the following map pages. Additional accessibility features are currently in development for these maps. Please contact us for updates, to request alternative formats, or if you have ideas for further development of accessibility features.
Index of State Profile Maps
These maps are a work in progress. Additional maps will be added as they are available.
States marked “partial set” have general disability rate and impairment rate maps.
States with no designation have a complete set of maps.
- Delaware (partial set)
- Florida (partial set)
- Georgia (partial set)
- Hawaii (partial set)
- Louisiana (partial set)
- Maryland (partial set)
- Massachusetts (partial set)
- Minnesota (partial set)
- Mississippi (partial set)
- Missouri (partial set)
- Nebraska (partial set)
- New Hampshire (partial set)
- New Jersey (partial set)
- New Mexico
- New York (partial set)
- North Carolina (partial set)
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island (partial set)
Disability Counts is a collection of online tools and resources that provide accessible data about disability in rural areas and communities across the U.S.
Learn more about RTC:Rural’s maps and geography research here: RTC:Rural Geography of Disability Project.
You may also be interested in viewing the charts available on the Geography of Rural Disability Research Findings Page.