In celebration of National Disability Employment Awareness Month, we are showcasing the Telecom Toolbox, a website and blog dedicated to career development using social media and online methods. The Telecom Toolbox is a product of RTC:Rural research about Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) professional’s use of social media. While the internet has become the primary resource for job seekers and employers, VR agencies are not fully utilizing current job seeking methods. In fact, research shows that online career development practices are partially limited in VR due to counselor unpreparedness to use social media.
To address this barrier, the Telecom Toolbox includes specific ideas for how consumers and counselors can use online tools and social media platforms in a job search process. These include strategies to:
- Improve online reputation
- Show proof of skills, education, employment, and professional development on social media platforms,
- Create resumes that are optimized for applicant tracking software,
- Research employers to tailor resumes and prepare for interviews, and
- Tailor messages for various social media platforms.
The Toolbox blog also includes various ideas for developing a VR social media outreach strategy to drive consumers to the agency. We update the blog frequently, so new content is always on the horizon. Check out the telecomtoolbox.ri.umt.edu to learn more!